Frenches Road, Redhill
Remains of buffer depot 124, one of a series built between November 1941 and December 1942 and used for storage of supplies in the Second World War and subsequent ‘cold war’ located by P Sowan. (SIHG 74)
1901-2000
Evaluation of the site for the new student village for the West Surrey College of Art and Design was carried out by D Graham and volunteers from the Farnham & District Museum Society. One pit of unknown date was recorded as was chalk and clunch masonry possibly dumped from works at the castle. A silver denarius and a piece of Roman roof tile were recovered and presumed to derive from upslope (later survey work confirmed a concentration of such tile at SU 834 472). A metal detector survey of the site recovered a 17th century trader’s token (John Smallpeece of Guildford).